Traverse City News and Events

MEDC Rejects Grant for City Property Purchase

June 6, 2015

A $1.25 million grant request that would have allowed the city to purchase a parcel of property at 400 Eighth Street was rejected by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) this week. City commissioners had hoped to use the parcel to expand Boardman Avenue as part of the city's Corridors Master Plan. Traverse City Mayor Michael Estes, who said the city had been promised "an almost guarantee approval" from the MEDC for the grant, called the rejection "fishy."

"Sounds like someone got to the MEDC and exerted some political pressure," Estes says. "I sure would like to know who." Estes says he plans to further investigate the cause behind MEDC's rejection of the request.

Comment

Cooks' House Chefs Make Finalists List for James Beard Award

Read More >>

Prosecutor Declines to Issue Charges Against Hentschel

Read More >>

Cherry Festival Agreement, Cemetery Mapping, Facilities Director on City Agenda

Read More >>

County Commissioners Urge Preservation of US-31 Pedestrian Bridge; DNR Says Removal Necessary to State Park Plans

Read More >>

Holly T. Bird, Local Attorney, Indigenous Activist, And TCAPS Board Member, Passes Away

Read More >>

Addiction Treatment Services Provides Mobile Unit Schedule, Changes Benzie Location

Read More >>

'Delighted And Excited:' TCAPS Ready To Open Innovation And Manufacturing Centers

Read More >>

City to Take Closer Look at Fees, Policy for Boardman Tours

Read More >>

Local Radio Station Temporarily Off The Air Due To Ice Storms

Read More >>

New Jail, Camp Greilick Plan, Court Separation Top Busy County Agenda

Read More >>

TCBN: 900,000 Trees And Counting

Read More >>

Join Us For Recess at Bushell's Wednesday!

Read More >>

When Medicine Meets Theater

Read More >>

East Bay Township Revisits Camping Ordinance

Read More >>