
Prosecutor Declines to Issue Charges Against Hentschel
By Beth Milligan | April 5, 2025
Benzie County Prosecutor Sara Swanson, who was assigned by the state to investigate an alleged sexual assault case involving Grand Traverse County Commissioner Rob Hentschel, has declined to press charges against Hentschel.
In a brief statement released to media Friday, Swanson said "it is the position of the Benzie County Prosecutor that after a thorough investigation by the Michigan State Police, there is insufficient evidence to prove a crime took place beyond a reasonable doubt." The release stated Swanson made the decision "after carefully reviewing all the evidence."
Hentschel was being investigated for criminal sexual conduct. According to the complaint, a 38-year-old woman alleged that Hentschel sexually assaulted her at a party he invited her to after they attended an event together in early October. The party was reported to involve heavy drinking, and the woman said Hentschel initiated sex with her against her will. Other individuals are also alleged to have taken part in the assault. The woman went to Munson Medical Center for a sexual assault examination, with the report then sent to the Michigan State Police. More than 1,700 people have signed an online petition calling on Hentschel to resign.
Hentschel previously provided the following statement regarding the allegations: "Sadly, this is not the first time during my public service that I have been subjected to attacks to hurt me and my family. The implications in the report you were provided are false. Due to the nature of the report, I have been advised against saying anything more than this."
Swanson previously told The Ticker that once her investigation was complete, "we will make the determination on whether or not we believe we can prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. If we believe we can meet this burden, charges will be issued, if not, we will decline to issue charges."
This is the second time Hentschel has faced calls for his resignation due to alleged misconduct against a woman. The first came after his ex-wife, Andrea Hentschel, sought but was denied a personal protection order against the commissioner while the couple was going through a divorce. In the PPO application, Andrea Hentschel detailed physical, mental, and sexual harassment she alleged was committed against her by her husband. According to a police report and 911 call made after her vehicle was damaged, she told authorities she believed her husband had tampered with the vehicle. Andrea Hentschel later dropped the complaint and no charges were filed in the case, according to the police report.
Comment